Monday, August 23, 2010

Feelings.

So today I really started to realize that I'm not going to see any of you for four months.  I know I knew that but it hit me a little harder today.  No weekend trips home, no continent passing along of things we need etc.  I guess what put it in perspective was my sandals.  I got new ones this summer and they are Birkenstock and have this strange bump going up to the balls of my feet.  It's something that some people need, like my mom, but not something I need.  I didn't think it would be that big of a deal but it's becoming a cause of constant uncomfortably.  It makes me wish that I was closer so I could trade sandals with my mom because she has the kind that I had before and they were great.  But I can't because I'm crazy far away. So now what would have been an easy solution is impossible and I'm stuck with expensive sandals that hurt my feet with nothing else to wear till it stops being so hot and I can wear shoes.  I'm probably channeling all my frustrations and anxiety into this one situation which makes it sound much more dramatic and awful than it really is but it's still annoying.  But don't feel too bad for me, I just need time to adjust etc.
I'm starting to get the hang of things here though. I know a few phrases (thank-you, that's ok, no thank-you, excuse me, not allowed, hello, see you later) some of them are a little random but we have fun with it. Sometimes when I buy something I don't talk except for when I say thank-you and I can pretend I'm Hungarian. I'm not sure it really works, but it's fun. We went to the biggest market in Budapest today to get groceries.  It's pretty big, three stories, but they don't have a whole lot of variety. Everyone had tomatoes, peaches, cucumber and potatoes.  There were more things that varied from place to place but I didn't see one red onion or sweet potato (some of you will realize how devastating that is for me, not so much the onion, but the sweet potato! I will find a sweet potato!) Stuff is cheaper here though for the most part.  It's not insanely cheaper, some things are, like bottle water, but many things are just a few bucks less, and some are pretty close what it would be in NA anyways.  Going out to eat is not as cheap as I expected.  I will definitely try to eat in as much as possible.  I am looking forward to cooking for myself though! I can't remember if I already wrote that... Oh well.
Something else that's different is that I react to mosquito bite's differently here.  I don't know if they don't start itching until long after I've been bitten bit when I notice them they are red dots. Normally I notice right away and my skin get's puffy.  This morning I had no bites that I was aware of, and now I know of at least 8. Not a fan... I'll need to look for anti-itch cream. Although someone else just put toothpaste on her's and that seemed to work, maybe I'll do that.
Jet lag kind of sucks, it took my two hours to fall asleep last night.  And I tried to make the mattress better by putting my big pillow under my torso and using my smaller pillow for my head but then when I woke up and moved my shoulder it hurt a lot! I had to move it really slowly to loosen it up.  Maybe I'll have better luck tonight.  So far my night as been pretty good.  I was in a bit of a low mood (see beginning of blog) but then I went to the coffee shop down the street with some people and had a really good mocha and then had a little dinner with some others. Pasta with bread and we lit candles and listened to Frank Sinatra and had a really good conversation. I love being with more theatre people.  I'm going to say again how awesome this group is! But I'm going to start getting ready for bed.  Good night.

Kendra

PS I would read this through to make sure it all makes sense but I don't feel like it so I'm sorry if there are mistakes or weird parts, you'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment