Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Awesome week!

Happy Halloween everyone!!  We threw a Halloween party last Sunday night and it was great! It all started because Arielle (one of my close friends here) was talking to one of her Hungarian friends who told here that Hungarian try to celebrate Halloween but don't really know how to do it. So we decided to show them some of what we do back home.  We all invited people we knew from class or other random places and we had a pretty good turn out.  I invited a guy from my religion class and he brought one of his friends, they were both really funny.  They brought a squash to carve instead of a pumpkin, and it worked! We all made a lot of food, baked goods, candy, snacks etc. We had games and a photo booth and awesome dancing.  Kalie's mom sent her a big package of Halloween stuff like decorations and little toys so we used all of those.  It was all a lot of fun!

After we all partied it up, we had to buckle down and get some mid-terms done.  I had a paper to write and a mid-term to study for, both of which went pretty well.  I spent all day (no joke, all afternoon and then back in the evening) at a tea house on Tuesday studying.  It was a really great study atmosphere but I've discovered that drinking a whole pot of tea by yourself is not the best idea since it gets cold by the time you reach the least cup and you have to pee a million times in a row. But I'll still definitely go back there when I need to do some hard core studying.

After I wrote my mid-term on Monday morning, the plan was for me to go to the airport to pick up five US students studying in Romania at the time who were visiting Budapest.  One of them is from Calvin and was in one of my religion classes so we planned on hanging out and having them stay with us for a few nights. So I got to the airport and looked at the flights coming in and I didn't see any coming from Romania, all from Italy or London.  That seemed rather strange to me so I went to the info desk and asked if there were any flights coming in from Romania in the other terminal, maybe there had been a mix up.  There were indeed a few flights coming in to Terminal 2 from Romania so I made my way over there and waited, praying that they would be in one of those flights.  Unfortunately, they were not.  I was getting rather stressed by now as I made my way back to Terminal one, hoping I would find some what of figure out what was going on.  I got back there and started to look around and was incredibly relieved to find an internet cafe! I got online and looked again at the info of their flight and saw (for the first time) that they were flying in from Milan, which had been one of they flights coming in at the correct time into the correct terminal.  I also saw that Kelly, the one from Calvin, had messaged me saying that they had arrived but did not see me and would probably head over to my apartment soon if I did not appear.  Knowing that they were ok and probably in a better situation than I was I headed home.

Unfortunately this was not the end of my stress because I was supposed to have been back at the apartment by 3:30 and I would now be arriving around 6:30, which means that many people would be wondering where on earth I was, especially since the people I was supposed to pick up had arrived before I did with no news of me.  Luckily, I arrived just in time to stop Robert and Tanya from going out to look for me and to receive an enthusiastic greeting with a large pinch of scolding on the side.  But I had made it home and was not kidnapped or anything else awful like that, and I finally got to meet the people I had been looking forward to meeting all day.

The next day went much more smoothly.  I spent the whole day with the Romania group, taking them to some important areas in Budapest and we had a great time! It's really cool how much more you start to appreciate where you live once you get to show it to someone else.  We went to a lot of different places and I think they really enjoyed it.  That night we went folk dancing at a club, which was very fun, but very exhausting and difficult, and we didn't have the energy to keep it up for too long. We headed back pretty early and just hung out in the kitchen, having energetic conversations about the awesomeness of Lost and other things.  Apparently Inception is the best film known to man!

So that was the business/funess of my week.  The next morning we headed off to Croatia, I'll talk about that in my next post, which is coming really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment