Friday, December 10, 2010

Busy

So its been awhile since I've blogged...I've been busy and I guess just not really in the mood to blog.  Last weekend I went to Romania for a National Theatre Festival and it was really good.  We saw Endgame, Measure for Measure, and Alcoholics - one of Andras Visky's plays.  They were all really well done but none of them were in English.  We had headsets with translations but I found that I was so focused on hearing the words I couldn't focus much on the artistic value of the performance, which I really missed.  But I guess that's what happens when you're at a Theatre Festival in Eastern Europe.  I also got to see two shows in Budapest at the Katona Theatre and they were sooo amazing!!!  We went to see The Wild Duck and Ivanov, both realist plays by very well known playwrights.  All the actors were incredible! It was in Hungarian but there were times when I just forgot that I couldn't understand what they were saying.  Both lead roles were played by the same actor. He had so much power! The shows had been running for awhile on rotation so the ensemble atmosphere was so tight! Everyone's timing was bang on.  Ivanov was definitely my favorite of the two.  It was done with more comedy than I would ever have imagined!! We were all busting a gut! I sincerely wish I had a recording of the performance, every character was so alive and had their own humor and I love realism, especially Chekov, who is the playwright of Ivanov. 

But lately I've been working on final papers and getting ready for exams.  It's actually pretty stressful, doing so much work and also trying to get ready to go back home.  We all have so much on our minds! The other day I was going to get some work done all afternoon but instead I had 3 really great conversations with three of my apartment mates, all completely out of nowhere and all really great.  Some of us are really ready to go home and just counting down the days and others aren't homesick at all and are not really looking forward to leaving.

I can't wait to come home.  As I said before I will miss some things here but I miss way more things back home.  I'm just so excited for Christmas break when I can just spend time with the people that mean the most to me and not worry about anything else.  I'm a little more nervous to go back to Calvin though.  It's going to be so strange to go back to a place that is so familiar yet so busy and full of so many people. I don't think I can explain it fully, but I'm interested to see what the transition back will be like.  A lot of people say that it's hard to break back into you're group of friends but I don't really have a group of friends I consistently hang out with, more like a bunch of individual relationships, which I feel like won't be as hard to pick up. I'm going to be so busy catching up with everyone though!! I'll be drinking lots of coffee and tea in the month of January, that's for sure. I wonder how quickly I'm going to get tired of summarizing my semester.  I want to talk about different things each time so it doesn't get repetitive for me but that's going to take a lot of work.  I think it would help if people thought of specific questions to ask rather than "How was it?" , which I realize is kind of hard to do, but if those of you reading could think of some better questions, save them for me, I want to hear them and answer them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment